Police/fire

Marblehead

Thursday

An officer was called to a High Street address, at 11:10 a.m., for a case of telephone larceny, forgery or fraud.

Fire and police were dispatched to the vicinity of Atlantic Avenue and Cleveland Road, at 1:35 p.m., after a dog walker reported a strong outside odor of gas. National Grid responded, but no trace of gas could be detected.

A person walked in the station, at 6 p.m., and left a letter of his concerns regarding a vehicle, parked in a private driveway, that he believes is not properly registered. He said the car, with a Virginia license plate, had been there for almost 21/2 years. He included a picture he had taken of the vehicle and its license plate. The man complained that when he moved into town nearly 30 years ago, he was told he had 30 days to obtain a Mass. registration or he would be in violation

... read more at: http://www.salemnews.com/news/local_news/police-fire/article_a3e36449-dfb2-5b71-9319-e5bcb82d1b72.html

Police log

The following items are from logs on file in the Police Department:

ARRESTS

MONDAY, MAY 14

Matthew Sweet, 26, of Raymond, N.H., assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, 242 Winter St., 3:17 p.m.

Oscar Colon, 28, 18 Warren St., operating with a suspended license, speeding in violation of a special order, possession to distribute drugs, failure to stop/yield, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, negligent operation, failure to stop for police, improper turn, passing violation, 18 Warren St., 1:43 p.m.

Elizabeth Reynolds, 29, 21 Broadway, check forgery, uttering a false check, 21 Broadway, 6:25 p.m.

Christopher Kasian, 34, 24 Salem St., number plate violation, uninsured motor vehicle trailer, unregistered motor vehicle, abandoning a motor vehicle, South Elm Street, 7:32 p.m.

 

TUESDAY, MAY 15

Samantha Lavalley, 31, listed as homeless by police, disorderly conduct, 44 Nichols St., 11:532 a.m.

Patrick Bussey, 19, 80 Blossom St., assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, 19 Railroad Ave., 8:32 p.m.

 

WEDNESDAY, MAY

... read more at: http://www.hgazette.com/news/local_news/police-log/article_c4c90cf7-d592-5088-8bed-c35e773259c1.html

MANHUNT: Police call off search for suspect in Beverly

BEVERLY  — Police called off their search at 8 p.m. in the area of Sohier Road and Brimbal Avenue for a suspect wanted in connection with a domestic incident, a search that has been running since late Wednesday afternoon.

At 6:55 p.m., Beverly police identified the suspect as Charles Dixon, 32, of 3 Archstone Circle, Reading. He’s listed as weighing 160 pounds, at a height of 5 feet, 10 inches. He’s wanted on an outstanding warrant for charges of witness intimidation, threats to kill and violation of an abuse prevention restraining order.

A Beverly police officer safety bulletin described Dixon as having 43 adult arraignments, including “several firearms violations, and assault and battery charges.” He was thought to be armed.

The case triggering the search launched on Oct. 15, when a Beverly resident reported to police that “her former boyfriend and father of her child threatened to have her and her unborn child killed,” according

... read more at: http://www.salemnews.com/news/manhunt-police-call-off-search-for-suspect-in-beverly/article_f6437b1a-b451-11e7-993b-7fa671350162.html

Tobin Bridge fix to cause commuting headaches

BOSTON — The 68-year-old Tobin Bridge is set for a major facelift, and North Shore motorists can expect delays over the next two years.

Work gets underway on a $41.6 million renovation of the 2-mile-long truss bridge over the Mystic River on April 22. The project focuses on a 1,675-foot stretch of the bridge into Chelsea.

It will mean lane and ramp closures well into 2020, according to the state Department of Transportation.

That’s likely to create headaches for tens of thousands of commuters who cross the bridge each day.

MassDOT officials are urging motorists to plan ahead, as one lane on the lower deck, Route 1 northbound, will be closed through November 2018.

“We encourage people throughout the Greater Boston area to recognize the upcoming traffic impacts on the Tobin Bridge and make smart choices if they will be traveling along the Route 1 corridor or throughout the region,” state Highway Administrator Jonathan Gulliver

... read more at: http://www.salemnews.com/news/local_news/tobin-bridge-fix-to-cause-commuting-headaches/article_57167767-eddf-5a80-9860-205241708bad.html

Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee

Intel CEO Brian Krzanich has resigned after a probe found a consensual relationship with an employee violated company policy.

The head of the largest U.S. chipmaker is the latest in a line of powerful men in business and politics to lose their jobs or resign over relationships viewed as inappropriate, a phenomenon highlighted by the #MeToo movement.

“An ongoing investigation by internal and external counsel has confirmed a violation of Intel‘s non-fraternization policy, which applies to all managers,” Intel said in a statement.

The board named Chief Financial Officer Robert Swan as interim CEO and said it has begun a search for a permanent CEO, including internal and external candidates.

Intel declined to give any further information about the probe. Its shares fell 2 percent.

New veterans director Alicia Reddin steps into job

 A 32-year-old Navy veteran, who is a mother of two and swing dances competitively, is the new Director of Veterans Services in Andover.

Alicia Reddin was the District Director of Veteran Services for Melrose, Wakefield and Saugus and also serves on the Post-Deployment Council at the Statehouse. She lives in BiIlerica with her family and starts her job in Andover on March 1.

Riddin served in the U.S. Navy as an “EO” (equipment operator) with the Seabees, a Navy construction battalion that was established in 1941 after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Riddin replaces former Director of Veteran Services Michael Burke who was 54-years-old when he suddenly retired on Oct. 23 after 10 years in the job. Health issues were troubling him, Director of Community Services Joseph Connelly said at the time. Burke earned about $80,000 annually.

The town’s Veteran’s Office was among several town departments that were reorganized and now report to Connelly. Other departments also reporting to

... read more at: http://www.andovertownsman.com/news/new-veterans-director-alicia-reddin-steps-into-job/article_33edcf1a-f585-5f5c-9f73-96803124cf9c.html

Star-spangled career: Bruins’ Rene Rancourt reflects on a life defined by the national anthem

Rene Rancourt wonders a lot of things about his career.

What if that hard check during a hockey scrimmage in Lewiston, Maine, had never landed? What if he’d been pressed into battle in Vietnam, like a lot of his Army buddies were?

What if Kate Smith hadn’t been sick on Oct. 21, 1975? What if John Kiley, director of music for the Boston Garden and Fenway Park, didn’t have his number?

“Wow. If those things didn’t happen, who knows where my life would have taken me?” said Rancourt, who for the last 42 years has performed the national anthem before Boston Bruins home games. 

“God, I’m a very lucky guy,” he said. “I had no idea where my voice would take me. I get emotional when I think about it. What a ride it has been. What a ride.”

Rancourt’s “ride” — performing for the Bruins and their fans, making appearances, singing at weddings — ends

... read more at: http://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/star-spangled-career-bruins-rene-rancourt-reflects-on-a-life/article_6c65980d-655e-5d68-9cdb-0754929c8c70.html

Salem ready to take a second look at Winter Island

SALEM — A decade has passed since city leaders took a hard look at the old U.S. Coast Guard property on Winter Island. Not much has happened since.

The site still features a crumbling, boarded-up barracks, dating to 1934, and a hangar, once used for seaplanes, that needs work but is still used by the city for boat repair and storage.

A comprehensive study in 2007 determined the barracks could be saved with a roughly $1 million investment. But no funding was ever found.

Now, city officials want to take another look at the site.

“We’re looking to do an update to the building assessment, the structural assessment of the building, and based on that putting out a request for interest basically to see what people or organizations might be interested in seeing on those locations,” said Dominick Pangallo, chief of staff to Mayor Kim Driscoll. “The condition of the hangar is probably better than the

... read more at: http://www.salemnews.com/news/local_news/salem-ready-to-take-a-second-look-at-winter-island/article_d3fbb9a7-c781-57cd-9860-e799e73c209b.html

Man, 53, hit by car in Beverly

BEVERLY — Police are investigating after a 53-year-old man was hit by a car Sunday night while crossing Cabot Street. 

The incident happened at the intersection of Cabot Street and Harrison Avenue. The driver of the vehicle stayed at the scene, according to a tweet from Beverly police Chief John LeLacheur. 

The man was flown to a Boston hospital, LeLacheur said. 

Members of the Beverly police Traffic Unit and State Police Reconstruction Unit are investigating. 

Check back for updates as they become available. 

... read more at: http://www.salemnews.com/news/man-hit-by-car-in-beverly/article_1dd8bd2e-1529-11e8-a109-6ff091507efe.html

Enrollment continues to decline in Salem schools

SALEM — Enrollment in the Salem Public Schools is expected to drop by 116 this fall, marking a loss of about 1,000 students in less than a decade. But Salem isn’t the only system facing decreased enrollment.

Peabody, Danvers, Marblehead, Hamilton-Wenham and Swampscott have also seen enrollments drop in the past five years. In fact, the only nearby district where the student population is continuing to grow is Beverly.

Ask Salem officials why this is happening, and two answers come up: changing demographics in the city paired with the cost to live in the area, and options like Essex Tech and Salem Academy Charter School drawing students outside of the district.

Since the 2011-12 academic year, Salem’s enrollment has dipped by an average of 151 students a year. The New England School Development Council predicts a drop of another 116 students this fall.

There were 4,596 students attending Salem schools in the 2011-12 school

... read more at: http://www.salemnews.com/news/local_news/enrollment-continues-to-decline-in-salem-schools/article_e0f63e42-3981-557a-b29c-85995f18d716.html